Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Praying for our President

It isn't very hard to realize that I am a big conservative...heck... I even put that in my bio below my picture. =) I watched the inauguration today and all I could think of was that I need to pray for this man. I ask that God gives this man guidance! I pray that he actually does help this country. Why would I want him to fail? If he fails, that means bad news for our country! So I refuse to be one of those people who wishes that he fails. I am not just saying this either to make sure that I come across as balanced and more moderate in my beliefs so that I don't offend anyone. I didn't vote for the man and unless he changes some of his main positions that I don't agree with him, I will even say that I don't plan on voting for him in 2012 either. Too early to say that you think? Or possibly you might think that I am naive? Not at all as long as I stick to my core Christian conservative beliefs! Sorry Obama... just because you had Rick Warren give a prayer today doesn't make think that you are trying to reach across to my side.

So... I hope that he doesn't fail but at the same time, in my opinion, conservative ideology is what's best for this country and its future. In actuality, today was a very historic day with Obama being the first African-American, President of the United States. Remember that just 50 years ago, some towns wouldn't allow an African-American to eat in their restaurants! Hats off to you Mr. President!

One last thought before I head off to bed... One thing really kind of... ticked me off today as I watched the inauguration... I don't remember the guys name, but it was the prayer that was given by this African-American pastor. Watch for yourself! You don't have to watch the whole thing, just fast forward to one minute and watch for about 30 seconds.



He says, "We ask you to help us get to the day when black does not get asked to get back, when brown stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead man, and when white will embrace what is right."

I understand that this can be taken as a joke., but I just want to make sure that I am not alone in this... If I am not mistaken, I believe the day is already here when black does not get asked to get back. Was he asking God for us to work for the day when illegal immigration is made legal? Was he really suggesting that whites don't embrace what is right? Sorry pastor... Obama couldn't have gotten elected just on the black vote. Maybe he couldn't find another word to go with white... He could have used, "when white get better sight" or "when white aren't uptight. Anyone else have problem with this or am I just alone?

Hope you all had a great day! The week is almost halfway over!!

4 comments:

DW said...

Half empty attitudes get you no where. He should have said "When white can go fly a kite!" It would have sent the same message!
DW

Sherry said...

Quinn and I shared Facebook Status Updates that we WANTED to post, and one of mine was: "Sherry Macy gets the sense that she should be ashamed that her skin is white." The pendulum has swung! I'm with you on all counts, not just the benediction.

Riley Kai said...

It is reverse racism all the way. Im sure you have seen Jay-z and Jeezy's racist comments at an innaguration party. It wouldn't have been tolerated if a white country singer had said something similar. I'm all for equality and the "right" black man in power, I just don't think thats whats happening!

Anonymous said...

The man who delivered the benediction is Dr. Joseph Lowery, a noted and respected veteran of the Civil Rights Movement. Dr Lowery is almost 88 years old, which means for most of his life he has been subjected to systematic, government sanctioned racism. Now as a white male in my 30s, I must admit that I blanched a bit when I heard this line. But then I thought about the struggles this man has fought (and won) and wondered how I might have fared faced with the same challenges. IMO, he has earned the benefit of the doubt on this.