Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Healthcare Torture

Smokers, Drinkers, and Coca-Cola drinkers... What do they all have in common? They all could be our universal healthcare funders! Do you think this is a good idea or a bad idea? What is my opinion? I think it is a bad idea! Not for the obvious reason that I completely disagree with universal healthcare, but because it doesn't make sense for these people to pay for it. Here is why... smokers and drinkers already pay a hefty penny in taxes. If smokers, drinkers and coke drinks are going to be the main source of funding, what do you think is going to happen to the taxes for these things? Go up! Do you think that this might cause people to quick smoking or drinking? There is a good chance they would if the taxes are absolutely too high. Obviously it really depends on how addicted people are to them as well! Here is what is really ironic... These things are considered by many as a main cause of cancer and many other health issues.

So here is a scenario for you to pick apart... Let's say I am a smoker and I have been for 10 years. I smoke 3 packs a day. After work I also go the the bar each night and have a quite a few Jack and Cokes, then I always go home and continue to drink a six pack of Miller Chills. I go to my yearly physical checkup, on the government's tab, and the doctor says, "You need to quit smoking right away because there are a couple of spots on your lungs." What am I going to do? Well, I am going to quit drinking and smoking and go to rehab, again on the government tab. What happens? The government just lost a funder of their beloved universal healthcare! Does this really make that much sense to you?

0 comments: