Friday, December 12, 2008

Unions... Unions...Unions

I apologize I haven't been able to blog recently this week, I work in the mortgage/banking field and have been absolutely swamped this week trying to get people locked in. I can't believe that rates are as low as 4.875% with only 1 point!!! Absolutely unbelievable! Okay.. I am getting a little sidetracked.
I am getting tired of this week's news that the "GOP caused the auto bailout from going through." Oh yes... let's point the fingers at the GOP! The GOP is the problem right? Wrong! I am seriously ticked off. It might be hard to believe, but in real life I am actually someone who likes to goof around... But there are two things that ALWAYS get me going, politics and religion! Oops.. I am getting sidetracked once again.
The GOP isn't the problem at all! The problem lies with UAW or United Auto Workers! The union absolutely refuses to allow workers' wages to be decreased at all next year! The GOP is merely asking for the union to share in the responsibility to keep the auto industry safe. Here is something very interesting... Foreign cars that are made here in the US pay their workers around $45 per hour or $93,600 per year. Because of UAW, US car makers with the US brand pay their workers around $60 per hour or $124,800. UAW is not willing to budge at all in negotiating a lower pay for workers. One part to business is that when times are rough, there are sacrifices to be made. It might mean that employees might receive a "temporary" paycut or maybe it means less paper that can be used around the office. There have to be cuts to make sure that the company remains in place.
When you or your family is going through a difficult time financially, you probably cut down on your eating out or cut down on going out to the movies. You have to cut back on "fun time" pay to help you get through those difficult times. The auto companies are going to have to make changes to their budget to get through these hard times, so it is absolutely inconceivable to expect them to make changes to every area except in wages.
Hey, I am all for people making money, but there is a reason why foreign auto makers are not in trouble. There is a reason why Wal-Mart, a no union company, is still staying profitable. So it isn't the GOP's fault at all that the auto bailout is stalled. I am morally against the bailout, but I am one who suggests that the responsibility and the sacrifice falls on everyone if the bailout does actually end up going through. Is it better to get a temporary pay cut and have a job or have no job at all because the auto company went out of business?
Unions are helping in driving some airlines and car manufacturers into the ground because of the "me" attitude. They are not willing to make any concessions when times get rough, but when times are good, "give me, give me, give me, give me!"

0 comments: